Back Again #4

14:14

Compared to other small bloggers out there, I perhaps may be the worst of all. Yes, it's been around five months since and yes I may have only little to tell. But hey! Here I am! Back again.

First of all, though I may seem incompetent with creating a consistency in this platform or in my YouTube, I have actually tried several times to write about things that has happened to me these past months. From how I discovered my second most favorite novel, to how my writing ended up being published... But none of those posts succeeded. I just have that writer's block that all writers complain about and I just happen to be having that for a solid four months.


To begin with, my back again series is mainly focused on things that have occurred in my life. After all, this is a very personal blog. So if you may seem uninterested with what life has been like for me, then it's advisory for you to not read this at all. BUT! If you'd like to start being interested, then it's advisory for you to stay. *cheeky smile*

Okay so... let's begin writing in a timely chronological order.

By the end of July, hence the end of my "long-summer" holiday... I started joining a skating academy in Bintaro all because I received a pair of my own ice skates in March. Long story short, it's been alright. To tell the truth, I find it difficult to befriend anyone there. I tend to be mute and mind my own business all the time so barely anyone find me interesting enough to invest a friendship bond with. Which is okay because I'm planning to quit after I finish my tenth-week course anyway.

*update after a month of drafting this post*

I may have changed my mind, actually. I might stay for more courses and I might have made some friends in the end...

MOVING ON

In the beginning of August, I was already in that habitual cycle of desolation i.e.: senior year of high school. And I find myself so very easily exhausted. Day 5 of senior year, I am already as exhausted as if it were the end of the year. In the car, I try to have as much rest as possible because going to a school cities away every weekday drains my physical and emotional stability. And as a result of that ongoing exhaustion, is an ongoing low-immunity. I lost count on how many times I was sick and had to detain my school tasks to rest.

And since I am now a senior student, which means that I have to face the national exam, I made the decision to sign myself for some after school courses in this tutoring place: Bintang Pelajar. So far it's okay for me. In fact, I like it more than my ice skating course. I quiet like the experience of being able to meet other students my age from many different schools and being taught by different teachers. However, I'm not sure yet that it's helped me with my academics. But, we'll see.

MOVING ON

Have you ever heard about Will Darbyshire? That cunning and incredibly talented YouTuber who recently released his first book? Well I'm pretty sure you have, but in case you haven't, go Google him a little and come back to watch this video about the beginning of his book, This Modern Love.


Now, the story as to how I was qualified to say "From how I discovered [...] my writing ended up being published..." in the introduction of this post is quiet simple yet very unexpected. As a person who rarely have internet connection due to SOME circumstances, I watched Will's video of his making of the book rather late. Perhaps a few months after. But I was so drawn into it I pretended I was nowhere late when I opened the website.

And guess what? You probably saw this coming... I wasn't late.

I quickly scanned the website with my eyes and caught one question I was able to write a letter upon. It was the: Question #5 What would you say to a crush? Write a letter to them to express it. It didn't take me long to decide what I wanted to submit. I was -at the time- sixteen, very much in a vague pool of old feelings for this one particular person, and have already written the letter in my private tumblr. It was a short, vague and crammed of all sorts of things I at the time love (or so I thought) which so happens to include him. And if you didn't know already, I wrote all sorts of letter in here for him too.

Here is that letter that I (re)wrote that day:


And after I submitted the letter, I was notified by Will through an email at March 15th that my letter has made it to the possible inclusion of the book, but since I was under 18 years old, I had to sign a waiver and attach it in my reply email before the 28th.

I don't know why I hadn't been opening my email at the time... But all I know is when I opened it, two weeks had gone by since Will sent me the first email. He even emailed me again to touch base one more time to see if I'd like to be included. And thankfully I opened the email in time to submit my signed waiver. I quickly apologized with the attached email and was soon replied by Will that, I wasn't too late again!

Long story short, months after the incident, I was no longer notified by Will about my letter. And by the time I figured out that my letter was included in the final book, I have already forgotten about my letter. It was in IT class that day. The teacher had given us a task and to do so, we had to download the files from our class email. But the website automatically directed me to my email and I was quick to logging it out when my friend abruptly saved the day. She pointed at Will's e-mail and told me that I was included.

You could say I was crying with happy tears that day.

MOVING ON

I'm surprised that you made it here. In this part, I will talk to you through about my college plans and what I've actually been doing these past few months.

  1. I registered for an IELTS (in the end of November) and SAT (in December) tests.
  2. I have applied to four universities -two in Canada and two in America- out of 10 from my list.
  3. I have been looking through online shopping websites, or more specifically... Sephora *har har*
  4. I have been trying to study for the SAT.
In all honesty, I really want to talk to you (and anyone else who's interested in studying overseas) why I want to study in the US or Canada, but... since I'm not quiet sure whether or not I will (though I'm hopeful, I'm not dreaming), I will only write and speak of it once (with Allah's permission) I attend a school in either US or Canada. Speaking of which- I do understand that studying overseas can be quiet challenging and is considered an obviously high expectation to meet. But it's something that I'm certain I want to try. And it's something I'm certain Allah will help me acquire, in all good things of course. However confident or certain I am with the idea of studying there, I'm still playing safe and am wise enough to apply here (Indonesia) too. Which of course, includes the three most recognizable universities: Institute of Technology Bandung, University of Indonesia and BINUS.

Aside from that, I think this post is sufficient enough in fulfilling whoever wishes to know more about me from these past few months. With that, I hereby declare a farewell until next time.

Love always,
Zahra Thania

p.s. Let me know if you'd like me to write more about ice skating, applying to universities in America/Canada and etc!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Squared Moments

Popular Posts

A concept

A concept
The wind rummaging through my hair; stroking my shoulders, a field of wildflower between my fingers and the clouds scattered in a uniform pattern. All alone with my milk tea-stained journal, writing pieces of life whilst absorbing the soft reality that I am happy.